subscribe: Posts | Comments

What Employers Need to Know about Work Permit

Singapore is seen as the land of opportunities. Workers from the neighbouring countries would here Singapore to try their luck. There are some who failed while there are others who thrived and succeeded. If you are looking for a job here in Singapore, you have to choose the legal and legitimate one. It will put you in great trouble if you deliberately evade the processes of working here.


Toiling here in Singapore is a rewarding experience for a foreign worker. Singapore welcomes all people regardless of the race, status and educational attainment. Apart from that, the working environment is conducive (considering that housing, health insurance, sick leave, etc are provided). If you are the employer, you are responsible to give the basic needs of your employees. You also need to secure work permit for your employees from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

Employers need to update the MOM or the Central Provident Fund (CPF) if there are changes of their employee’s work permit. The changes include:

  • Company information: If there are changes in the company’s information details (like company address and contact number), it is time to update CPF. But if the employees have S Pass or Employment Pass, MOM should be informed independently.
  • Business entity: If a company is undertaking changes like restructuring, merger, takeover, renewing with different ACRA (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority) and private limited company, MOM should be informed.
  • Employer: If the employee choose to change his/her employer, he/she should fulfil certain requirements. For employees holding transfer of Prior Approval, it is valid for more than twenty one days at the time of application. For employees with no transfer of Prior Approval, there is a levy of S$300/S$450 or S$600/S$750.
  • Company name: If the company has plans of changing the name without changing the CPF number, CPF board should be informed. But if the employees have S Pass or Employment Pass, MOM should be informed independently.
  • Occupation: If the employee considers on changing his/her occupation, the company should file a request for altering the work permit at the work pass section of MOM. The result will be forwarded to the employer seven days after submission.
  • Address:  If the holder of working pass transferred residences, MOM should be updated. The employer can use the OFWAS (Online Foreign Worker Address Service).

As mentioned above, you are responsible for your employees. You have to fulfil their needs and the requirements of the government so you can operate smoothly. Do not attempt to evade something because you will surely be apprehended.

News Release  16 Sep 11 p1