Tricks to Control Sweating
Sweating is natural because it is the body’s mechanism but too much sweating is an indication of diseases like metabolic and neurologic. Excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis. For others, heat and emotions may trigger it but there are others who perspire all the time regardless of the emotions or the heat.
Many Singaporeans suffer hyperhidrosis especially that we have hot days here. It is even harder for Singaporeans who suffer from excessive sweating because they also have to live with the embarrassment; there will always be sweat patches. This is not a hopeless case because there are many tricks to control the sweating.
According to Noor Almaani, a dermatologist of The Private Clinic of Harley Street in London, the secret lies in changing our lifestyle. Here are simple lifestyle changes that we should undertake if we want to control our sweating from wreaking havoc:
- Avoid spices and caffeine: If we love spices and caffeine, it is time to let it go if we want to control our excessive sweating. Spices and caffeine contain neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters, if activated, can stimulate our sweat glands causing sweating – all the time.
- Prescribed antiperspirant: If we consider antiperspirant, we have to make sure that is prescribed by our doctors. In prescribed antiperspirant, we can make sure that it will be more effective than the ordinary ones. Doctors will specifically prescribe antiperspirants containing aluminium chloride. We only need to follow the prescription. If antiperspirants are not working, we can consider medical treatment like botox injection which can stop excessive sweating for a year or more.
- Consider our clothing: The least thing that we can do is to wear loose clothes. The simplest trick is upon purchase of clothing. Of course, we should choose thick and fit clothes. It is best to consider breathable clothes. It would be an added bonus if we look for clothes that are stain resistant.
- Avoid medications: There is nothing wrong if we drink medications especially if it is prescribed by our doctors but we have to be conscious that some medications trigger excessive sweating. Medications that can trigger excessive sweating include antidepressants, steroids, opiods and nicotinamide.
- Avoid hot showers: Hot showers can trigger our sweat glands so it is better to avoid it.
- Exercise can help: We have to know that excessive fats can cause many to sweat more. What activities should we consider to keep our weight down? Well, we can consider exercise.
The good news is that there are various treatments for hyperhidrosis. We have to consult our dermatologist right away. We do not have to live with the embarrassment anymore if we consider the simple changes above.