8 Tips to Do a Successful DIY Singing Lesson
The secret to achieve a great singing voice requires technique and talent. To become a successful singer, you should be knowledgeable about the solid practices in singing like proper projection, posture, and diction, as well as the vocal placements and important vocal exercises. Some take singing lessons to learn these techniques, while others learn it by themselves. So if you’re planning to learn and develop these techniques by yourself, here are some tips in doing a Do-It-Yourself singing lessons.
1. Stay Loose in Your Voice Box and Throat. One good way to do this is to perform the yawning reflex of your body. Every time you yawn, make a particular sound and remember how making such sound felt. As you yawn, you’ll notice that there’s no hint of stress or tension in your voice and that is the proper way to sing. To sing high notes, practice your yawning sound but in a higher pitch.
2. Observe Proper Voice Projection. Another important technique that is taught in regular vocal lessons is the proper voice projection. By properly projecting your voice, you’re able to produce louder and fuller voice without putting much strain on your voice box. Practice this by sustaining a yawning sound in a large room. Just remember to avoid forcing yourself to produce continuous full sounds as it can strain your vocals.
3. Learn the Proper Posture and Breath Support. Learning the right posture and breathing technique is important in singing as it is in speaking. As you do your DIY vocal lessons, stand or sit up straight to promote good air circulation in your lungs. Both novice and professional Singapore singers do this technique so that they’ll be able to produce better sounds as they sing.
4. Develop a Good Voice Intonation. As you sing and project your voice, you’ll notice that some sounds are still very difficult to hear clearly. Which is why as a singer, it’s also important that you develop a good voice intonation. The best way to do this is to concentrate on your singing with a expert singing class from the pros in Singapore and be completely familiar with the piece you’ll be singing. That way, you’ll be able adjust your pitch in each part of the song.
5. Learn the Right Voice Placement. With or without taking vocal lessons Singapore, learning the right voice placement is the most difficult technique to master. Some novice and experienced singers do this by feeling the sound vibrations on their nose and cheek areas, while there are also some who just relaxes their throat, tongue and jaw as they sing.
6. Perform the Necessary Warm-Up Exercises. Similar with a workout routine, performing warm-up exercises is also important in singing. Warm up your voice by performing a five-note scale of do-re-mi-fa-so in a lower and higher pitch. Also, keep your jaws loose by performing this routine using your yawning reflex. That way, you’ll be able to smooth out the unnecessary breaks in your voice and avoid putting much strain on your vocals.
7. Practise Good Vocal Habits. One way to ensure that you maintain your good singing voice is to practise good vocal habits. As much as possible, avoid holding out notes that are too long or high, singing for longer hours, as well as singing loudly over a loud accompaniment since this will only strain your vocals and even lead to bad singing habits. Also, withdrawing from vices like smoking and drinking alcoholic drinks will also be beneficial not just for your singing voice, but for your health as well.
8. Be Confident. Other than developing your talent and mastering all singing techniques there is, being confident is also important in having a good singing voice and showcasing a good performance. Don’t be disheartened if you sound off sometimes, because even singers who’ve undergone singing lessons Singapore also experience such instances where their voices are also off the tune. Just keep on practicing and developing the singing techniques that you acquired and be confident in your performances.
Learning all the necessary singing techniques on your own isn’t easy, but by continuously practicing your skills and developing each technique, you’ll be able to get that good singing voice that you’ve always wanted to have.